Howrah Church of Christ Domestic Violence Response
July 25, 2017
As a contribution to the community debate regarding Domestic Violence in our community, as a church we acknowledge the following:
- There is never a justification for family violence.
- Sadly, such violence does occur.
- As family violence is often concealed the incidence can be difficult to know but even one incident is one too many.
- The response of the church broadly has often been found lacking. We apologise if in any way we have responded inadequately.
- We seek for our church community to be a place where hope, healing, compassion and justice are not just catch words but the lived experience of all.
- If anyone discloses to us that they are the victims of family violence we undertake to do the following:
- Listen attentively to your story and experience
- Work collaboratively with you to ensure your safety, both immediately and longer term
- Act to protect children (if present) from family violence and its adverse effects
- The Churches of Christ Vic-Tas conference passed a motion at its 2015 AGM advocating a range of responses to family violence.
Our current eldership consists of 4 white males aged 40-65. This is not a reflection of any theological position on age, race or gender. We actively welcome a better diversity on our leadership team.
Graham Mann Geoff Morffew Graeme Holt Fudge Jordan